Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Taping up film door

  1. #1
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hello there everyone,

    About a year ago I remember posting something about having problems with slight overexposure which I put down to the simplicity of my camera, but one of my college teachers recommended taping up the film door (its only a simple camera and the door doesnt close that tight) with electricians insulating tape to seal it, and thus make it totally light tight. Anyone ever heard about this before, is it likely to work?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    A standard precaution among pro DPs is to use gaffer tape on all potential sources of light leaks.

    The presence of gaffer tape has a second function. It means there is film in the camera, so check the frame counter before you open it up. This is not as important with super8 which comes in cartridges but is a good practice with reg 8 and 16mm.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would tape it while the cameras is running. Then when you view the film, you can decide if taping the door made a difference.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would try it..what have you got to lose, except light leaks! Nice to see you back on the forum, Technicolour!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice to be back Mike [img]smile.gif[/img]
    The only thing that was keeping me away from super 8 was the British winter! Now were getting real Kodachrome weather over here.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You know it, Technicolour!! I'm in Nebraska, it's all brown and gray around here...things should start turning "Kodachrome green" around here soon...then I'll finish up the roll I started in february!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •